Recently on one of my salty travels I came across a product called Seachem De*Nitrate. Great I thought, I'll bung it in my external filter to try and get the nitrate levels down.
It wasn't until I had got it home and read the instructions properly that I realised that in order for the denitrate to function the flow rate through it must not exceed 200litres an hour. The external filter works at over three times this amount.
I therefore toyed with the idea of turning the canister that the denitrate came in into a filter in its own right. Now you will have to excuse me but in my rush to get going I clean forgot about creating a diary of progress and so the filter was more or less finished by the time I thought about it. Also I am not very good at explaining this sort of thing so I apologise if its not very straight forward.
Basically I bought two garden hose tap connectors from B&Q.
I removed the metal jubilee clips and then cut a 12mm hole in the lid of the canister.
The tap connector was then attached to the lid and siliconed in place. I then did the same at the bottom side of the canister.
I then attached some black ribbed piping to the connectors, again siliconing it in place. To power the filter I had a spare maxijet 400 available so I thought I would use this. I was wondering whether the powerhead would be too powerful but as it turned out due to the length of the hose it was just right. I timed the flow and it took 4 minutes to fill a 10 litre bucket so working it out it would take 80 minutes to shift 200 litres. Well within the denitrates limits.
The freshwater test worked really well with no leaks so I am going to rig it up to my reef tank soon and let the De Nitrate granules do their work.
Will let you know how it performs.