After two recent requests to know more about my DIY filter I made for my paludarium, I have decided to post the details on here.
Buy the following- one powerhead, a tall food box (mine was for pasta I think), enough tubing (I used the green eheim stuff), two plumbing 16mm connectors, and media of course.
Push one tube (inlet) throught the connector on the bottom (this created a watertight seal) and one all the way through the top one. Then attach the end of the tube to the powerhead outlet. Fix the powerhead onto the inside of the lid; I used aquarium silicone. Fixing it onto the lid instead of the box means that the lid can be removed without disconnecting the tube. For the cable, I drilled a small hole in the side of the box, and wrapped a piece of rubber from a marigold glove around the cable before pushing it in. This sealed it.
I then had a filter which looked like this:
Ignore the duck tape on top, that was due to a split tube.
The only problem is priming. I do this partly by syphoning (holding filter below water line and opening lid), and partly with a jug, filling up via the inlet tube.